Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Running the Right Pace for Life

  For the last several months I have been preparing and planning to run the First Light Half Marathon in Mobile. When I found out I had a melanoma tumor in my eye needing surgery, I had to cut back my running and adjust my plans. At first I thought I might not run at all. Jeri Stroade, my All Nations Community Church teammate, suggested that I consider 'pacing' her for the second half of the race. Since our church had volunteered to serve at a water stop at the 7.2 mile marker it made it easy for me to consider jumping into the race at that point.

  Jeri had never run a half marathon before. She had been training with my son Joshua and our mutual friend Carrie Tucker. Running 13.1 miles is hard work! Knowing how to run the right pace is very difficult. Running, like life, demands we make critical decisions regarding how 'fast' we run and how we balance the demands put upon us by our responsibilities. Life is more like a marathon than a sprint and we need to make good decisions about how we 'run our race'.

  In order for me to really be of help in Jeri's half marathon I needed to really listen to her. What was the pace that Jeri wanted to run? How did Jeri want me to encourage her? We all receive and understand encouragement differently. Jeri was very clear and comfortable in telling me how to encourage her. I ran the last half of the marathon beside Jeri listening and watching her carefully for what she needed. Our strides matched almost perfectly. We were marching toward her goal pace with every step and at times I had to restrain myself from trying to run a different pace. To really help someone we often have to let go of our own goals and comfort zone. To march in step.... in unity with others... means leaving behind my own personal agendas, goals and priorities.

  I was amazed at how much easier it felt to run in step with Jeri during the race. There seemed to be a synergy as we communicated and ran the race together. In other half marathons I have run, I remember  feeling disconnected and mentally discouraged. There was an amazing strength having someone right beside me on the journey to the finish line.  You don't have to be running a half marathon to realize the powerful truth of the need for partnership in life. Whatever aspect of life you are challenged by, we all need others to 'run the race' with us to really make a difference in our world. The temptation to run too fast or quit before the finish line faces us all in our dangerous and challenging world. Who are you running the race of life with?  Every significant and meaningful achievement in life is born of significant and committed relationships and partnerships. Don't try to run your race alone. Search for people who would love you enough to help you find the pace you can handle. The synergy born of teamwork is found in a commitment to selflessness and the learned skill of listening and hearing those we 'run with' in life.

  Are you running the right pace for your life? We discover the answers to those questions in communities of love and faith. We need one another. If you haven't found your community yet, I encourage you to talk to God about it. You were born for love. You were born for relationship. Don't run the race of life alone!

Jim
  

No comments:

Post a Comment