Thursday, January 5, 2012

Pray it Anyway

  Had an encouraging time of prayer with the Liberty Church family in Pensacola last night (www.libertychurch.net). We spent about an hour praying about various aspects of our lives. Before we began to pray Pastor Buford Lipscomb encouraged us from Daniel chapter 10 to persist in prayer even when it seems like nothing is happening. To talk to God about our problems takes faith. We can't see God .... and often we feel as if we're not being heard. The reality of our human condition is we often pray with more sincerity and fervency when we are in crisis. And when we are in crisis we would prefer our requests be handled on a 'priority' basis. But God's sense of timing is not necessarily ours. There are many factors that have to come into play for us to get our prayers answered.

 Daniel was a prophet of God.  Daniel had every reason to expect that God would hear him and take his prayers seriously. But there is an unseen realm of spiritual reality that impacts our prayers. God is not deaf and he's not too busy to attend to your deepest heart needs. Listen in to an amazing vision and angelic encounter that Daniel had in response to his prayers and fasting.
  "I lifted up my eyes and looked, and behold a man clothed in linen, with a belt of fine gold from Uphaz around his waist. His body was like beryl, his face like the appearance of lightning, his eyes like flaming torches, his arms and legs like the gleam of burnished bronze, and the sound of his words like the sound of a multitude. And I, Daniel, alone saw the vision, but a great trembling fell upon them, and they fled to hide themselves.  So I was left alone and saw the great vision, and no strength was left in me. My radiant appearance was fearfully changed, and I retained no strength. Then I heard the sound of his words, I fell on my face in deep sleep with my face to the ground.

And behold, a hand touched me and set me trembling on my hands and knees. And he said to me, "O Daniel,  man greatly loved, understand the words that I speak to you, and stand upright, for now I have been sent to you." And when he had spoken this word to me, I stood up trembling. Then he said to me, "Fear not, Daniel for from the first day that you set your heart to understand and humbled yourself before your God, your words have been heard, and I have come because of your words. The prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me twenty-one days, but Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me, for I was left there with the kings of Persia, and came to make you understand what is to happen to your people in the latter days."

 Daniel was seeking answers from God about what was happening in his world... and what was going to happen to the people he was called to serve and love. God heard Daniel.... from the first day he prayed, God began the process of answering...but there was a delay. There is a spiritual battle going on in our world and our faith needs both endurance and patience to gain the victory in this life. The things that you pray about aren't always answered in the way that you desire... and when you desire them, but God hears your words..... he hears your heart and is at work doing what is best for you and for the world that you live in.

 Are you frustrated and discouraged? Have you stopped praying?  Have you stopped hoping? Be assured that God hears you.... that he loves you and that he will do the right thing in response to your crying out to him.  That prayer you've almost given up on saying..... pray it anyway. And watch God do the right thing, at the right time, for you and those you love.

Jim
  

No comments:

Post a Comment