Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Right Turn to Birmingham

On my way to Nepal, I took a wrong turn and wound up in Birmingham, Alabama.  A few weeks ago I wrote about my impending mission trip to Nepal. I had spent about a year planning on helping lead a team of people to serve  the ministry of Compassion for Asia in Kathmandu. Just prior to leaving I found out that I have a cancerous tumor growing in the back of my right eye. I have had various emotions hit me over the last two weeks as I process the 'wrong turn' that led me to Birmingham, Alabama. It's one thing to understand and believe that God is sovereign when he does what you want and expect with your life. But what about when our well laid plans are cancelled or altered? Well I am finding out it's not as easy as I thought! I have spent the last 31 years of my life immersing myself in the truth of God's word. It's a really good thing to have your soul saturated with truth. When we're wounded, disappointed and fearful our mind can do strange things. By God's grace which is delivered through prayer and the word of God I've had an amazing peace on the inside of my life during this time.
  Yesterday the radiologist who specializes in cancer treatment discussed my treatment with me. He gave me the facts regarding my prognosis and the effect that radiation will have on the cancer and also on my eye. The facts were stark and serious.... but God is loving and he never stopped talking while Dr. Kim delivered his sobering assessment.  One phrase of God's word has kept coming to the surface of my soul over the last several days...'momentary and light affliction'. I felt God telling me that whatever lies ahead of me must be placed in the context of his ongoing will for my life..... an eternal perspective. The phrase comes from Paul's letter to the church in Corinth. (2 Corinthians chapter 4 and verses 16-18  "Therefore we do not lose heart.  Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day.  For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory,  while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen.  For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal."

  I didn't get lost on my way to Nepal.  I didn't make a wrong turn on my way to Birmingham, Alabama.  The awesome and amazing thing about knowing and loving God is that he never leaves us ..... never forsakes us. His presence and purpose are being fulfilled in my life. So many of you that know me are praying and asking God to heal me. I have heard from hundreds of you via phone calls, texts, Facebook and Twitter. I appreciate your encouragement and love so much!  I am listening to God through this process.  I am still not completely comfortable being the 'patient' receiving the care and love of others. But clearly my right turn to Birmingham involves just that..... being loved, cared for and healed by God and people..... people like you, who choose to think of others and care for them in their time of need.  I feel the love. I receive it with gratitude and deep joy. There are three things that last forever.....faith, hope and love. On the road to Birmingham I am being filled with all three in powerful and challenging ways. Thanks for taking the right turn to Birmingham with me.
With faith, hope and love;

Jim

1 comment:

  1. Jim,

    I appreciate your openness to share your journey through these troubled times. There is little doubt that our faith is strengthened when we pass through the deep waters of adversity. God has our full attention and our senses are heightened. Samuel Rutherford put it so well in his statement, "Grace grows best in winter." I appreciate you allowing us the privilege of walking it with Jim, as best we are able, for you have walked with so many of us through our valley of Baca. I pray for you the blessing Moses pronounced upon Asher, "As your days, so shall your strength be," that all the days that God has ordained for you shall be accomplished, and that out of this valley will come forth a spring of fresh water. Our love and prayers are with you and Mary.

    Blessings,
    Linda and Ray

    ReplyDelete