Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Prayers from Hell

When we think about praying we almost always assume it's a good thing. As young children if we are raised in a religious family we are taught how to pray and the importance of prayer. But prayer is in fact a struggle for most of us. The idea of speaking to an almighty and eternal being is often awkward and intimidating. What exactly should I be praying about?
  I have been a Christian since August 2nd, 1980. I have prayed quite a few prayers since then!  I would like to tell you I am adept at praying and all my prayers are unselfish and powerful. However, if I did I would be lying... another sin I need to avoid! The truth is sometimes I have prayed horrible, selfish prayers that in some distinct ways were inspired from hell. I want to share with you an example from own life of such a prayer. Prayer is such a vital, powerful and life giving form of communication that we dare not waste a single word in the presence of God. Please stay with me as I share my heart on this important topic I have entitled, "Prayers from Hell".
  I moved to Mobile, Alabama in July, 1998. I have lived next to the USA campus since my arrival. Upon my arrival to Mobile I wanted to stay in shape so I began the daily ritual of jogging around the campus for both physical and spiritual exercise. I would pray for things as I jogged the entire perimeter of the University of South Alabama. On the corner of University and Old Shell I was often confronted with the Solomon's restaurant and bar. It was a 'notorious' place noted for the frequent appearance of the Police and criminal activity. One night one of our international students walking through the parking lot was mugged and robbed. I got into the habit of praying daily for God to 'shut down' Solomon's. My full name is James John Mather. I am named after the two brothers who were Jesus apostles, James and John. They both were nicknamed "Sons of Thunder" for wanting to call down destruction on anyone who would not follow Jesus their way. Unfortunately, I have much in common with my namesakes! I am often too quick to judge and too slow to have mercy and compassion. I prayed for 10 years for God to close Solomon's. One day while jogging around the campus, God stopped me in my tracks as I prayed my time worn but ineffective prayer. Here is what I think I heard God say, "You're praying the wrong prayer!" At once I felt both shock and humility. I stopped running and  listened for what God might say next. I felt a distinct impression that God was telling me to pray for the people inside the Solomon's business. " I want you to pray for the people inside... the customers, the workers, the business owners."  That's what I felt I heard God say. I began to pray in that manner with compassion and concern for the people... and not with the goal to condemn...but to redeem. A few months later the lights went out at Solomon's.  The sign board out front listed a cell phone number for anyone interested in leasing the building.
  We were in the early stages of launching an international church in Mobile and I wondered if God might have us use the former Solomon's building as our first location. We called the number. Some of our leadership team met with the two brothers who owned the business. On our first meeting I apologized for any part my prayers might have had in Solomon's closing. They looked shocked at my statement but said they were glad it closed. Int their own words the business was 'killing them'. It quickly became apparent that we were not to lease the Solomon's building but instead embrace and welcome the former owners of Solomon's into our church family. Howard and Steve Weller have now become close friends and very involved in our church. I officiated at Steve's wedding and have walked with both of them through the trials of physical illness. To put it simply, I love the men whose business I was praying closed. I was praying the wrong prayer. When I began to pray for the people on the inside of that bar, God took notice. I don't want to be a "Son of Thunder" any longer. I want to be a son of God.... full of love, compassion and mercy. I want to intercede with prayers from heaven....not from hell.  Will you join me?

4 comments:

  1. Great God Story Jim! Sound just like him too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your honesty. I think personal stories like this teach so well the character and love of God.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful, brother! Thank you for all of your encouragement and true words.

    ReplyDelete