Friday, December 16, 2011

Operation Birmingham

  I just returned a few days ago from the Callahan Eye Center in Birmingham, Al. It had been a challenging time of waiting and preparation prior to the surgery on Friday, December 9th.  Dr. John Mason inserted a large radiation plaque into the back of the right eye with the presence and assistance of Dr. Kim, a radiation oncologist. The operation itself only took about an hour. For the next 4 days I was confined to my room to let the radiation dose begin to work on the melanoma tumor. On Tuesday of this week they went back into the O.R. to remove the  plaque. Almost immediately after the surgery I got into our car and drove back to Mobile. I have been feeling like an old boxer the last few days. I feel like I have taken a couple of pretty strong punches to the head!
  On the way to the hospital on Friday morning for the initial surgery, Mary asked me, "How do you feel?" I had a very distinct feeling that I could only describe as being 'carried' on a wave of prayer. I had slept the night before the surgery better than I could have expected and went into the operation with complete peace and rest. What a huge blessing knowing that so many have prayed and stood with our family during this medical battle. The results of the surgery will not be known for several months. The Doctor will do an exam of the eye in May to check to see if the radiation has shrunk or killed the tumor. In the meantime we continue to believe in God's healing presence and power in our lives. We were blessed to have several visitors with us during our time in Birmingham. Thanks to Pastor Bruce Terry and Liberty Church Birmingham for allowing us to stay Thursday night in their 'mission house' next to the church. Buford and Ann Lipscomb were able to visit and pray with us before and after surgery. We also had visits from Julie Mehta and Faith Mugeta (former students) and my good friend from Mobile, Steve Weller. We felt so loved and cared for. There is so much healing in sharing your presence with someone going through a trial! Small acts of kindness carry great benefit and power when done in love.
  During our time in Birmingham we also sensed God had a purpose beyond my own physical healing. Somehow the staff of the hospital including nurses and doctors had heard our life stories of helping establish an eye hospital and working in an international church in Mobile. Each night at around 10 p.m. just before getting my vital signs and medicine I would have a 'visitor' who would come by to open his or her heart about what they were seeking for in their lives. I went into the hospital to obtain healing of a 'vision' problem but found myself daily dispensing a prescription of spiritual.... heart vision. Every person I talked with was in what I can only describe as a significant life transition. As they stood by my bedside to give care they had open hearts and ears to what God put on my heart to share with them. I felt the presence of God as I shared my own personal story with those assigned to care for me. I just felt God saying, "I made you a Pastor, right now this is your congregation, love them and speak my words." To be honest, I would prefer not to have 'church' in a hospital! I would prefer not to having my eye operated on to thwart the growth of a cancerous tumor in my eye. But I am not God and I trust that he knows what he is doing when he gives me an assignment like "Operation Birmingham".
  When you speak, act and move as directed by God, you feel his love and presence in powerful and meaningful ways. I went to Birmingham in search of healing and have come away with a renewed love for God and people.... and that's the best healing I could ever imagine.

Jim
  

No comments:

Post a Comment