Sunday, October 2, 2011

This Marathon Called Life



In January, 2010, my son Joshua and I completed a 26.2 mile marathon in Mobile, Al. It was a challenging day. The temperature at the start was around 20 degrees Fahrenheit with a lot of wind. We had trained a lot for this race but there are always elements in every challenge in life that we are not in control of. To run for that distance it is critical to stay hydrated and it was amazingly hard to drink the equivalent of 'ice water' in spite of thirst. The cold water seemed to trigger nausea for both of us and from mile 15-19 or so we both felt it. At mile 15 they were "out of water" at the rest stop and I was really upset about that.... I was thinking how can you be out of water at a water stop? So I trudged along and began to feel like I was not going to make it to the finish. I grew increasingly despondent. I was cold and my legs didn't want to move very well. But I continued onward slower and slower. I knew that my friends and family were manning the water stop just past the 20 mile mark and I thought I will make it to there and throw myself into the arms of my merciful wife who would understand if I stopped and did not finish.
As I approached the 20 mile water stop I saw my friend Ben Brenner who was shouting encouragement and began to run alongside me. His words to me and his presence alongside impacted me immediately. I felt my mind and body feeling better. He told me I was going to finish... and I believed him. I had heard many similar voices from people all along the course but none of them impacted me like Ben's. I knew Ben... this wasn't some random voice saying things it didn't mean. Ben knew me... and believed in me. Not only did Ben encourage me with words but he began to lead a cheer for me as we neared the water table... all my friends and my wife began to shout my name and I felt a wave of love hit me on Spring Hill avenue. At that instant I felt better than I had in several miles. I did not ask him too but Ben ran with me for quite a while through the water stop and beyond and illustrated with me that actions are even more powerful than our words. Many will say they are with you in trials, storms and difficulties but those who run or walk with you through those times have an amazing power of influence. I also had many who were praying for me along the journey. Life is a journey of amazing highs and lows and it's easy to get discouraged in the 'middle miles' when the finish line is not yet in sight. That's when we really need our friends and family (community) to believe in us, walk with us and encourage us to live the life that God has planned for us.
Running the marathon in Mobile I learned  a powerful lesson that the power of encouragement is a unique gift that can be exercised by anyone willing to draw alongside people going through the challenges of life. Your words and your presence carry a power that can help others finish and not quit what they have been called to do. Sometimes the most powerful words are simply, "You can make it!"


Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment