Friday, October 28, 2011

Giving and Receiving

Jesus said, "It is more blessed to give than to receive." (Acts 20:35)  I get that. I have been intensely blessed as I have sought to help others in life. Whether as an R.N. helping to establish an eye hospital in northern Pakistan or in the ministry of Friends of Internationals & All Nations Community Church in Mobile, Al, we have lived a blessed life of service and caring. Nurses and Pastors are shaped, trained and empowered to give and attend to the needs of others. I have seldom been physically ill. I have been in excellent health for my entire life. Several days ago something changed. Last Saturday afternoon an Optometrist and then and Ophthalmologist looked into the back of my eye and told me a sobering truth, I was deeply in need of help. I had gone to get a new pair of glasses or an updated prescription prior to an upcoming missions trip to Nepal. But I left the Doctor's office knowing I had a much deeper need.
  I am beginning to realize that I have developed a weakness of the soul that needs healing. While my right eye has developed diminished vision from a tumor there is something else that needs healing on the inside of me. The ability to put my hands together and receive from others is underdeveloped and lacking. Yesterday while undergoing testing on my right eye the vision in that eye became even more limited through the effects of dilation drops and also the never ending bright lights and probing exams. Mary had to lead me by my hand through the streets of Birmingham, Al toward lunch.  She had to describe the terrain under my feet and the ebb and flow of traffic. I was dependent. I needed to receive. I was not in charge. I was receiving and it wasn't very comfortable at all.
  Paul the apostle had some familiarity with the need of balance in the area of giving and receiving in his life. Paul had a brilliant mind and a strong leadership gifting. Paul also found himself thrown into jail and restricted in his ability to move around freely. In his letter from jail to the church in Philippi he said this about his circumstances, "Yet it was kind of you to share in my trouble. And you Philippians yourselves know that in the beginning of the gospel, when I left Macedonia, no church entered into partnership with me in giving and receiving, except you only. Even in Thessalonica you sent me help for my needs once and again.  Not that I seek the gift, but I seek the fruit that increases to your credit. I have received full payment, and more. I am well supplied, having received from Epaphroditus, the gifts you sent, a fragrant offering, a sacrifice acceptable and pleasing to God. And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus."
  Life is all about relationships. Healthy relationships are built on mutual giving and receiving.... sharing life together. I need to be more comfortable and open to allow others to give into my life and the life of my family. There is a time and a season and a purpose for everything in life. As I sit here struggling to type this note with one eye hazy and cloudy I know that it's a time to receive. Your love and care for me and my family at this time are an extension of a divine reality.  There are few things that last forever.... but love is one of them.  I open my hands up to you..... all of you.....maybe for the first time. I am ready to receive.
Much love;

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment