Friday, September 16, 2011

Lost Souls


Lost Souls
 It's a horrible feeling to be lost. I remember the first time I was consciously lost. I must have been around 3 years old and my parents have filled in the blanks for me about what was a harrowing experience for them as well. We were at a mall in Cherry Hill, N.J. when I wandered away from my parents while we were in a shoe store. I can vaguely remember losing my bearings in the tall stacks of shoes and then suddenly realizing my family was no longer in my line of sight. When my parents realized I had wandered off they went into 'panic' mode and notified mall security and they had my name called over the intercom speakers. I am not sure how long I was 'lost' before I reconnected with my parents. I remember a vague sense of pain in my stomach.....I knew I needed to reconnect to my parents as soon as possible....but how? It's an awful feeling to be disconnected from safety and protection.
 Later when I was reconnected to my family by a stranger who saw me wandering the aisles of the shoe store, my parents asked me repeatedly, "Didn't you hear your name being called over the speakers"? I had no idea what they were talking about but now upon reflection I can see why a stranger calling my name had no impact on me. Jesus tells us in  (John 10:27). "My sheep recognize my voice, I know them, and they follow me." When we know we're lost (physically,emotionally, relationally or otherwise) our soul desperately needs to respond to a reliable and loving voice. Not every voice calling us to 'walk this way' is a safe guide in a dangerous world. There are many false shepherds (guides) who would lead us astray for their own greed and selfish interest.  How do we stay clear of deceptive and selfish leaders/guides?
  The first step in ensuring we don't get lost in life is dealing with our own self centered pride issues. Proverbs 14:12 tells us, "There is a path before each person that seems right, but it ends in death." Due to our own sin and pride we often make decisions about direction and guidance that stray off the path of absolute truth. A lost soul is someone who becomes convinced that they 'know better' than anyone else.
  The voice of temptation comes in and says, "Let others work hard and spend their lives building toward success gradually....take a few short cuts.... I can get you there so much quicker." Jesus encountered this moment of temptation at the point when he was just beginning his powerful ministry of healing and teaching. In Matthew chapter 4 we see Jesus coming out of a time of prayer and fasting and facing the temptation to achieve quick success and avoid suffering, "The Devil came to him and said, "If you are the Son of God, change these stones into loaves of bread." But Jesus told him, "No, the scriptures say, 'People need more than bread for their life; they must feed on every word of God.'"
  The temptation to 'get lost' is often empowered by serious and legitimate needs. We are sick, hungry, lonely or depressed and a voice begins to speak, 'follow me' and all your needs will be met'. Evil preys on the vulnerable and hurting, like the proverbial 'wolf' dressed in sheeps clothing. We desperately need to examine the heart and motives of anyone we allow to take a leadership position in our lives.
  One of the most profound lessons in staying clear of becoming a lost soul is the revelation that direction and purpose in life flow more out of relationship than we realize. In John chapter 14, Jesus begins to prepare his followers for the transition that his death, resurrection and ascension would force upon them. He didn't want them to be lost....or deceived when things seemed to go astray. He knew that the gravest danger of trial and transition would be to become a 'lost soul' and forget who they were and why they were on the planet. So Jesus tells them in advance in verse 6, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me." When we break relationship with God, we're lost. That broken relationship leads us down all sorts of painful 'rabbit trails' that cause our souls to go dark with pain and injuries. We need someone to call our name that we recognize.... we need to hear the voice of the Good Shepherd. A strangers voice over the intercom (religion) will not suffice. Grace knows your name and is calling out to you not with condemnation but with love, acceptance and joy. Grace wants all who are lost to come home to safety, provision, love and healing. Getting lost is painful. While we're lost we are often lied to about how we got there. We might even begin to blame the 'parents' we wandered away from. We might even blame God for abandoning us when we made a 'wrong turn' in life.
  The good news is that love can take the false accusations and continue to embrace the lost souls on the way back home. It's often a long journey home and no one gets there alone. Perhaps on our journey toward love we need to become a part of a community of pilgrims walking together toward the light of God's love and truth. We're all wounded in some way in life. The choice is ever before us to come home..... let's walk together toward that forever place, where love calls our name.

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment