Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Building a House of Love

Many of you who are reading my blogs have known me and my family for many years. Perhaps some of you don't know me personally. You have just logged onto the internet and 'accidentally' begun to read some of my thoughts and reflections. Today, I am writing something deeply personal. I am going to let you into my world.... our world....the world of our family. For our entire life together first as husband and wife and now for 24 years as parents, we've had one ongoing life pursuit. If I could put it into a simple phrase or sentence I would say, we are "building a house of love".  When I first began getting to know Mary in 1984 I asked her questions about what she saw herself doing with her life. If we were ever to have a 'serious' relationship we would have to be compatible with our life vision and calling.  Mary told me that she was considering going to South Asia to work with orphaned children using her training as a Physical Therapist. Mary was a young woman with a call to serve.... to heal.... and to love.  I was challenged by her obvious commitment to serve others.  Clearly, Mary was someone I could spend my life loving.  Since our marriage on June 29th, 1985 we have been pursuing God's call to to build a house of love.  Many people own homes.  All of live of us live 'somewhere'.  We have at times lived in very nice homes and at times in very modest locations. But building a house of love has nothing to do with our physical home or location.
  It was while living in Pakistan that God began to shape the vision we are currently walking out in the life of our family. One cold day in December, 1996 I was praying at my desk about our future. We had been in Pakistan since March of 1993. I was talking to God about my dreams and desires. I voiced this prayer, "God,  I don't know if it's possible..... but if it is.... I would like to reach the whole world with your love." It seemed bold even perhaps arrogant to pray like that.  I hoped I wasn't being selfish. Already, God had blessed me with the unique opportunity to do meaningful work for him in the mountains of N. Pakistan. By grace we had established an eye hospital where people were receiving their physical sight and spiritual hope. What more could I really want? Somehow, I felt God birthing in me a love for the world beyond my own understanding and comprehension. I didn't know what it meant and I did not know how he might answer my prayer.
  Over time I began to sense him speak the words 'international students' into my mind and heart. I began to research what that might mean and all my seeking, prayer and searching led me to the University of South Alabama in July of 1998.  At that time Mary and I along with our children moved into a home next to the USA campus to begin directing "Friends of Internationals" a ministry to the many international students attending the university. Over the years we have ministered to thousands of students from nearly every nation on earth. God is answering prayer in an amazing and frankly humbling way. I had no idea how to minister to international students! But God by his grace had taught us something deep and profound during our time in Pakistan... the value of hospitality and deeply engaging others in relationship.  Our home was overwhelmed by visitors and truly has become a 'house of love'.  There is a special peace and presence of God in our home. We are blessed to watch God welcome the world to 5659 William and Mary Street. Somehow God has provided the food and resources to greet the beautiful precious people he has sent to us. God's love for the world is so real and palpable.

  In 2009, after many years of prayer and waiting on God we began All Nations Community Church as a way to minister to the many internationals who needed a 'spiritual home' here.  We didn't assume that we were to lead this church. But a young woman from Germany and a couple from Japan strongly urged us to consider leading just such a church.  Now in September of 2011 we are meeting regularly as a house of prayer for all the nations (Isaiah 56:7) and reaching out to refugees, students and families with God's precious redeeming love. All of our staff (our family included) live by faith. We do not receive a salary from the church. We depend on God's people who also love the nations to pray and give as he directs. Perhaps you are just such a person! We are deeply grateful to you. Perhaps reading this you might consider giving to help us continue in building our 'house of love'?
  There is a blessedness in giving. When we allow God to release his love on behalf of others we are not diminished in any way. We are deeply enriched beyond what money could ever give us. If you would like to receive our newsletter do let us know! I write a monthly letter to all our prayer and financial partners. Our mailing address for the ministry is :  P.O. Box 8617  Mobile, Al 36689  If you are able to give just leave a memo for Mather family support.
  May you know that God is indeed building a house of love..... a community of hope and healing in a very dark and difficult time. Thanks for letting us give our lives to love others. If we can serve you in any way let us know!

Jim, Mary, Dan, Josh and Gabby Mather
 www.allnationsmobile.org

No comments:

Post a Comment