Friday, March 20, 2009

Coming out of the CAVE

I have never explored a cave in my life. I have read articles about adventurous souls who have cave exploration as hobbies. Once in a while you hear of people getting lost in caves and not making it back out. There are so many unknowns in cave exploration...... hidden pockets of toxic gases, the obvious risk of getting lost etc.... So, I choose to remain outside caves and if I see them just take a nice photo from a safe distance. But in life there are other kinds of caves where we all get lost and are in danger. Caves to me symbolize darkness, despair, danger and separation. When I have made poor decisions that negatively impact my relationships with those closest to me (including God) I can sense the "lights going out" in my head and heart. I am usually too mad, fearful or uncertain to do what I should do and stop and check my "GPS" coordinates (truth, love and grace) so I muddle along deeper into my cave of despair and deception and wind up walking so far that I hit the "wall" at the back of the cave. Recently I have thought that I would like to be a friend and have friends that are willing to "walk me out" of the back of my cave and theirs. Walking implies patience and a willingness to live life with others... through their good and bad days. It takes time to heal, time to turn toward the light and the journey back out of the cave is often delayed, postponed, lengthened and seldom on time whatever that means. Life is never really simple and its complications don't play well in movies or sitcoms. I'm coming out of my 'cave' and moving toward the light found in the presence of Jesus. Will you go with me?
Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment