Wednesday, September 19, 2012

A Seamless Life

Over the years I've developed the habit of beginning each new year in prayer listening for God's direction and wisdom for the coming year. In January, 2007 I sensed the Lord telling me he wanted my life to be more 'seamless'. Honestly I had to look up seamless in the dictionary to get a better understanding for what God might be calling me to. The dictionary definition of seamless is: smoothly continuous or uniform in quality, combined in an inconspicuous way, continuous or flowing.

  As I continued to reflect on how the word seamless might be related to various areas of my life I began to get some direction. I sensed God wanting every area of my life to flow out of one central and connected purpose. In July, 1998 my family and I relocated from Pakistan to live and work in Mobile, Alabama. After 5 years helping to establish and develop an eye hospital in Gilgit, Pakistan the Lord had spoken two words to me in the winter of 1997: International Students.... and thus began a major shift in my life. Jesus tells us clearly in the gospel of Matthew, "Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God." It seems that God's purpose and direction for our lives are meant to flow out of relationship.... a relationship that depends on hearing and obeying the voice of God to us.

  Nearly 10 years after our family arrived to Mobile, God was calling us to some significant changes in our lives and ministry. Serving as the directors of the international student ministry known as Friends of Internationals had been deeply rewarding. Over the years literally thousands of students from nearly every country on the planet had become a significant part of our lives. However saying goodbye was difficult to say the least. One significant memory is from the spring graduation in 1999 at the newly opened USA Mitchell Center. As the international graduates from FOI crossed the stage to receive their diplomas I wept.... something significant was leaving my life and I didn't know if I could bear the loss.... I told God I could not do this year after year. The sorrow I experienced that day lessened over time but never fully left me. If life is all about relationships... and I believe it is, than how was I able to tolerate the sudden abrupt leaving that graduation entailed?

  In 2001 I met a young man from Nepal in my living room during an international dinner. In a very crowded room Sudip Khadka grabbed my attention with his pointed and heart felt invitation for me to visit Nepal. Sudip was a student from the Brownsville school of ministry in Pensacola who had driven over with fellow students to experience the international fellowship of FOI. For the next several years Sudip had been asking me to come to Nepal. I rather abruptly said No many times to his overtures. I was very busy with all the related activities of Friends of Internationals. Deep down I really did want to go to Asia again but was afraid of getting stretched too thin.

  Now in the spring of 2007, God was in part saying through this word 'seamless' to begin to prepare for international travel. God's will was for our lives of ministry to international students to continue to the countries of their birth. We were to have a seamless and ongoing relationship with all those who came into our home and lives through the years. Since that time I have visited both Nepal and India and hope to visit more nations in the coming days....but more change was coming.

  In 2009 after years of prayer for someone else to pioneer a multi-ethnic church in Mobile I surrendered to the call to help begin All Nations Community Church. For years we had hosted a large and vibrant bible study in our home on Monday nights. I loved doing it...but it wasn't seamless. No matter how hard I tried it was difficult to connect some students to our local area churches. It seems God was making me a Pastor and I didn't recognize it! Since those early days of beginning the church in homes through small groups we have continued to develop a truly seamless international vision. In the book of Acts chapter 1 and verse 8 we're told, "But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has comes upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth." There was to be a seamless continuity to every aspect of our international relationships and community. We were to establish an ongoing and progressive relationship to God birthed friends from across the globe.  In some ways I would continue to have to let go of the majority of people who came into our lives through their connection with the University of South Alabama...but we were getting guidance and direction from God to be willing to go and be with those whom God has brought into our lives by his sovereign will.

  In 2011, All Nations Community Church became the Mobile campus of Liberty Church.... a multi- campus church we've had relationship with for over 20 years. The Senior Pastor of Liberty is my Pastor and mentor Buford Lipscomb. In many ways this is a seamless connection to our spiritual roots. Mary and I attended Liberty Church in the late 80's and early 90's where we studied international ministry at Liberty Bible College. We were being reconnected and reestablished in a local church family that would offer accountability, wisdom and guidance. We continue to be stretched and guided by the word seamless.

  Yesterday as I asked God in prayer to again define the word seamless to me personally he surprised me when he said, "It's Holiness." To be holy is to be whole... in body, soul and spirit. Too often we have a huge distance and separation between our body, soul and spirit...we proclaim one thing with our lips and live another.  Holiness is nothing less than a seamless continuity in every dimension of life.  I am meant to be the same person wherever I am and with whomever I am in relationship.  I want to live a seamless life.

Jim

1 comment:

  1. hi. your reviews are great to read . thanks for sharing such critical issues .

    International Student in US

    ReplyDelete