Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The Gift of Gabriella

I'm still reeling a bit from the graduation of my daughter Gabriella from high school. Last night as I sat in the Mitchell Center Auditorium with the noise of a raucous crowd buzzing through my head, my emotions were getting the best of me. Could this really be happening now? Gabriella is my youngest child and the thought of Gabby moving on into college has been a difficult adjustment for me to wrap my head around. Like all parents I want the best for my daughter... I want her to succeed and to find God's plan and destiny for her life. I realize that soon she will move out into her place in the world and that I have to let go of seeing her every day.

 Before all of our children were born I prayed about what to name our children. I wanted their names to reflect upon who they were born to be. I felt the name Gabriella would suit our daughter. Gabriella comes from the name Gabriel who was the angel that announced the birth of Jesus.... I felt that God would use our daughter as a messenger... a communicator for him. From an early age, Gabriella has been very verbal and a very sensitive person. One of my most distinct memories of my relationship with Gabby was when I was spending some time alone with her. I've tried from an early age to spend some one on one time with her and take her on 'dates'.  One day as we were pulling out of our driveway Gabby began shouting from her car seat (she was 4 years old at the time), "Talk to me!" We had gone less than 10 feet when the heart of Gabby began telling me that our time together would have to involve some serious conversation!

  Gabby more than any person has the ability to challenge me to 'get real'. She reads me well and has an intuitive sense for what's going on inside my head and heart. I can't hide from this angel that God has placed in my life. My words and actions in her life carry great power and great responsibility. When I've failed to love Gabriella adequately, I can feel the pain that I've caused her and I deeply regret it... and by God's grace I move in the direction of repentance.  Gabby gives voice to her desires and dreams better than most. Her boldness keeps me amazed... I never doubt that she will move in the direction of making a difference in our world.

  Our daughter has been born and raised surrounded by people literally from all over the world. I don't suppose I have met someone with a greater grasp and understanding of the various cultures of our world. She is a wonderful mosaic of the beautiful diversity of our world. She embraces and moves easily among the people God has placed in her life. When she detects any evidence of prejudice or cultural insensitivity in my heart or those of her friends she brings a firm voice of correction. I believe that Gabriella will be used as a voice in the ongoing battle against racism and division in our world. My daughter has been a true gift from God to my life. As I release her into our world in need of love and grace, I am confident that her gifts will bring healing to the nations in need of God.

I love you Gabby!
Dad





2 comments:

  1. Love this heartfelt post. She is one special girl with a very special Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful tribute from a dad to his daughter upon graduation! Gabriella is very beautiful, inside and out. No doubt she loves her Dad very much too!

    ReplyDelete