Monday, April 9, 2012

Blindness of the Heart

  We often take for granted the ability to see. Every movement of our body is dependent on accurately understanding our environment... one false movement and we risk injury, harm or even death. Since discovering that I had a tumor in my right eye in the last several months, I have suffered from a diminished ability to see out of my right eye. The treatment with radiation has left me with very little central (straight ahead) vision. I find myself dropping things and struggling with knowing how close or far away objects are in my 'field of vision'. I am learning how to see in a new way. I am relying on my left eye while ignoring the imperfect vision of my damaged and unhealthy eye.
  There is another kind of vision that we use to interpret the meaning and reality of the world we live in. It's the vision of the heart. Our response to our reality is often determined more by the condition of our souls than we realize. The vision of the cynic and the saint are often at odds with one another. We all are in need of a removal of the cataracts of the heart.

  In 2 Corinthians chapter 4 and verse 4 we get a little insight into what is happening to impact our view of reality. "The god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, to keep them from seeing the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God." There is a spiritual struggle going on to keep us 'in the dark' concerning matters of the heart and soul. There is a potential for all of us to view things from either God's perspective or a 'worldly' perspective. We are surrounded by a world controlled by self interest and 'me first' priorities. We might have perfect vision with our human eyes and yet be deeply blind on the inside of our human soul.  To be led and guided in life by the prevailing philosophy of ' let's eat and drink and be merry'.... to sell out for sensual pleasure only, is a dangerous and deeply dissatisfying way to live.

  When we cry out to God for healing and help in our lives we might be surprised how that impacts our world.  As I have prayed for healing of the melanoma tumor in my right eye, I've experienced some changes in my life beyond my physical reality.  I've been able to see, feel and experience life in a whole new dimension. 2 Corinthians chapter 5 and verse 7 reveals to us the way of the believer in Christ, "For we walk by faith, not by sight."  I still literally walk by putting one step in front of another.... but I interpret what is happening to me in a deeper and more profound way.  I begin to see things through the lens of God's eternal perspective. My vision is altered by first seeing God and the perspective revealed through his word and by his Spirit.

  When we yield our hearts to God and begin to connect with Him in relationship something deeply profound takes place. Jesus said it this way, "Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God." While at present my physical vision is diminished, I am in no way hindered in my ability to see what matters most of all.  God is at work in showing me himself.... and in seeing him,  I'm healed from the inside out.

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment